Easy Ways Single Mothers Can Get Financial Assistance

Finding financial assistance for single mothers can be hard and finding the money for everything you and your kids need can be even tougher. That’s why governmental branches and private organizations have set up ways to provide single moms with the financial help they need – including free money.

The 529 Savings Plan –

The 529 Savings Plan is a very special type of financial aid. This plan is like a plan from tax advantages that is designed especially to help save money for college. The “qualified tuition” is usually offered by state agencies and some educational institutes. This money is only designed to be used for college or a higher education. Once the account is established, anyone can contribute to the account to add more funds for the college journey. For more information on what a 529 plan is and how you can find out if you are eligible, check out their website.

Grants. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back. They are given to those who need them the most, and often those people have to go through a screening process to determine eligibility. Grants are commonly given to those who want to pursue higher education, though other need based help is available, depending on specific needs and where you are located.

Sunshine Lady Foundation.

A College Degree may just be the answer to your dreams. Find out how you can make it a reality!

A College Degree may just be the answer to your dreams. Find out how you can make it a reality!

Established in 1996 by Ms. Doris Buffet, the Sunshine Lady Foundation is dedicated to helping mothers get out of abusive relationships and get back on their feet. The fund provides money for education, offers scholarships, and is dedicated to helping families in crisis. To determine if you qualify, visit:


Our Families, Our Future

This organization is dedicated to providing a helping hand to those who are trying to get back on their feet. They help train women for positions in the work force that will allow them to make a living wage and take care of their children without help from the government or welfare programs. Find out more at


The Women’s Opportunity Awards

These are awards given to mothers who are the primary money-earners for their families, and who are furthering their options by going back to school. The cash award recognizes hard work and rewards it with not only the money, but the recognition of a job well done. You can learn more about the awards at


Institutional Grants.

Colleges and universities will offer grants to those who are already enrolled with them. For instance, if you want to take online classes, a computer is necessary – but for the struggling single mother, this can be an expense that is impossible to meet. Some colleges will provide computers for free, with the understanding that it is “on loan” until you complete your educational requirements – and then you get to keep it.

There are many organizations, both private and public, that are based in your specific area. Start by looking in the phone book for organizations like Helping Hands or the Salvation Army. These are good starting points to help you find further information on financial assistance for single mothers, including free money for single moms. To find further information on governmental grants, visit the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance at


This is a great place to go to information for mothers.

70 Responses to “Easy Ways Single Mothers Can Get Financial Assistance

  • Anna Fuentes
    4 years ago

    Hi my name is Anna

    I am a single mom with four children . I have a thirteen year old son and fourteen year old daughter
    and a sixteen year old daughter. and a thirty year old son. I am in the brink of losing my apartment.
    Due to lack of money. I don’t have any money.I have no where to go. I am scared. My son who is thirteen smokes pot and drink. I need to find a teen rehab that would take him . I think he suffer depression too. I suffer with Bipolar and depression too. I also suffer with diabetes, and neuropathy on my feet and legs. I need help is there anyone who could help me? or better yet pray for my family and I. I love all my children. I feel like. I have failed them.

  • Michele
    4 years ago

    Im a mother of 4. I just got a relationship that was turning abusive. It was scary taking a leap and moving out, I found a place to live, however, now I have the horrible feeling I can not make it on my own. I have a good job, but of course the price of rental of a home, my vehicle, bills and now the added bills of utilities. Im worried, I do not what to do, I feel helpless. I tried to get assistance with at least food, but I don’t qualify. I am only left with 40-50 bucks after bills and that goes into gas to get me to work. Please guide me somewhere or someone that can help me get back on feet. I just need start up help…………please.

  • robin staehle
    4 years ago

    Im the mom of 4children. There father is in jail and will be there for awhile. My children and i are haveing a very hard time. I dont know where to turn

    • What do you need most help with? Our team can help point you in the right direction for your needs.

  • Can I Tell
    4 years ago

    I have been a business owner for 22 years, the youngest female insurance agent appointed with Safeco Insurance Co. I lost everything after being dragged into a custody battle with a man who was incarcerated and the child did not know. The child was 10 years old and frightened as I had never told her of her fathers history. This was rapid fire as he had no life. What else did he have to do. I fought hard to protect her, He was diagnosed with the same things Jodi Arias was, BPD and anti-social traits with much more. I had 3 orders of protection and was stalked and harassed continually. I was told to protect her by 3 reputable organizations and so I did. I lost most everything fighting family court, all our money, my contract with Safeco thus my business and now suffer from PTSD. I am 48 years old and have disconnected with all who I was connected with, friends, business associates etc. Talk about humiliating. I just didn’t want people to know. I am at a loss of how to proceed or if I even can. I worked to be the best mommy/dad I knew how to be. I raised a wonderful child. She now sees her mom broken and lost. I have no direction for my age and place in life. There just aren’t options for me in time to save us. I am no longer the mom she knew. I will never tell her he threatened to cut her from my stomach and kill us. I fear him and he relishes in this fact. Do you have any ideas of survival for us? I wanted to set the example she would always look up to. I don’t know anymore. I prayed on her head every night and sang to her ever morning which I now feel I feel gave her a distorted view of the world. I don’t know anymore. There was a licensed psychologist who had his license revoked due to our case and another interventionist who abuses children. It’s a shame and I will keep up with EMDR to help me but I have no insurance for her (first time in her life). He’s supposed to help with that but I won’t open up his communications with her for that. Is there anything you can help me with? Thank you and sorry for going on so long……Good mom, turned into just there.

  • I am a single mom, I am a full time student and I do receive assistance but I am in a very mentally abusive relationship with a man who sits home, does nothing but stay in bedroom playing video games at nite and sleeping all day. I do not receive any help with children, bills, school support etc. Now my studies are suffering, I can’t concentrate. I can’t find work and can’t make the bills. He is mentally abusive and refuses to leave. Is there any assistance to help me get on my feet and away from him, and maybe therapy. I’m emotionally at the very end of my rope, I feel trapped and bullied. Any advice? Anyone?

    • Being bullied,

      First off you have children they are the most important thing in the world and they dont need to be around that kind of abuse.

      If you own the property you are at then call the police and have him removed put a restraining order of protection on him and if you do not own the Property then leave … Your life and your kids are way to important.

      There is help out there. Just go somewhere that he isn’t, and start your life over… best advice I can give. My daughter was just with a jerk like that and she finally left him. He was abusive physically.

      Your state should be able to help you get child support from him, also help you get situated with finances at least until you can get to work. You can get food stamps for food, and they will help you find a place to live.

      Make sure you explain the situation to them and DO NOT let that guy back in your life no matter how much he says he will change because it is all a lie.

  • I am recently seperated from my husband and have a 5 yr. and possibly my two nephews 11, and 16, the house me & my husband owned is in forclosure status, but he is going to try to get loan modify and take my name of the house. I am staying at my sisters old house and trying to give her money for rent but it is hard. I am stuck right now because my credit is bad because of forclosure. I work part time because can’t afford day care and I also take care of my 84 yr. grandmother. I dont know where to start to try to get financial help. Live in NC

  • Is it better to pay off charge offs that are on your credit, in order to trying to get a home loan? I am a single mom of two boys, and working really hard to try to get this goal reached!

    • Lynn, it depends on when the charge offs were placed on your credit. Charge offs fall off your report between 7-9 years. If you have had a charge off on there that is six years old it would be worse for your score to pay it as it will re report from the paid date another seven years. Find companies that offer credit review services or if you belong to a Credit Union most will go over your report with minimal fee or free. Hope that helps.

  • Nanyanzi Joan
    4 years ago

    Hi members
    I am Joan Ugandan lady, mother, with orphan whom iam looking after I
    have rewritten to you to help me in my needs because I have no one to help
    me in my problems like paying school fees ect That’s why I am calling
    a upon you to help me in any way please .
    may God Bless you

  • Jennifer
    4 years ago

    Hello I am a single Mom to an 8 year old little girl in Pennsylvania. Her father has been incarated most of her life so therefore I don’t received support. I do have a good job and have been turned down for assistance for basically everything. I own my home and recently things have gotten bad and I can’t get my head above water. I have never asked for help or received help. The assistance office keeps telling me that I make too much. Is there any help out there for mothers like myself. Everything has just gotten so much more expensive its hard for me to afford everything and buy food.

  • i am a single mother of 3 sets of twins and a three year old and it is very hard for me. i am currently receiving government aide 430.00 ,but its not e nough. i would love to go back to school to futher my education.please if any one has any advice or suggestions please share… im in california

    • There are many grants that you can look into for going back so school. However, going back to school can be very expensive. The best thing for you to do right now may be to look into some california state assistance and see what they can offer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *