What Keeps Women Away from Starting a new Business?
- 0.1 What Keeps Women Away from Starting a new Business?
- 0.2 Men Rule the Roost
- 0.3 Characteristics of Immensely Successful Business Women
- 0.4 12 Traits of The World’s Most Successful Women (Outlined by Emma Gray of the Huffington Post):
- 0.5 What makes a Woman a Different Leader than a Man? (Courtesy of Forbes)
- 1 Conclusion:
Many women are often afraid to venture out on their own and begin new businesses, build companies or even take an executive position at their respective companies. Often times, it’s because there are very limited and few successful women entrepreneurs as role models in the field. Moreover, most women refrain from taking risk and they seldom have cash reserves to invest in a new enterprise.
Men Rule the Roost
But perhaps it isn’t too shocking that pastel pant suits strike fear in the hearts of friends and employees everywhere. In the U.S., men run roughly 97% of the largest public companies, hold 84% of major board positions and control 83% of Congress. Truly powerful and successful business women remain a tiny minority, and fear of the unknown is common and rational. (Forbes)
Characteristics of Immensely Successful Business Women
Women are just looking for the next “Steve Jobs” and “Mark Zuckerberg”, but we currently do have some excellent role models to look up to, and each of them display characteristics of truly successful women. Slowly, but surely, however, women are making their ways up the ladder and climbing into success. Here are some women who have shown their successes at the worldwide level:
1. Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook
2. Meg Whitman, CEO of HP, former CEO of Ebay
3. Marissa Mayer, CEO and President of Yahoo!
4. Indra Nooyi, CEO of PepsiCo
5. Ginni Rometty, CEO of IBM
6. Oprah Winfrey, owner of OWN
These 6 women are in different fields and do very different things, but they each share similar ingredients in their recipe to success.
Let’s explore some of the typical characteristics of successful women.
12 Traits of The World’s Most Successful Women (Outlined by Emma Gray of the Huffington Post):
1. They are deeply passionate about what they do.
2. They don’t expect perfection — of themselves or those around them.
3. Often, they become the boss.
4. They marry well — or not at all.
5. They believe that they will be successful.
6. They’re not afraid to take risks.
7. They know that failure goes hand-in-hand with success.
8. They take care of themselves physically.
9. They know that their to-do lists will never be completed, and they’re okay with that.
10. They make sure to schedule alone time.
11. They know how to foster genuine relationships — and keep them strong.
12. They express gratitude to those around them.
Apart from the aforementioned 12 things, don’t forget about the very common and core characteristics that can make someone successful. Always have perseverance and creativity. Also be talented, visionary, ambitious, engaging, disciplined, and definitely don’t be afraid to think bigger. Most of the times we simply tend to forget that women CAN be as good a leader as Men.
What makes a Woman a Different Leader than a Man? (Courtesy of Forbes)
- Women leaders are more persuasive than their male counterparts.
- When feeling the sting of rejection, women leaders learn from adversity and carry on with an “I’ll show you” attitude.
- Women leaders demonstrate an inclusive, team-building leadership style of problem solving and decision making.
- Women leaders are more likely to ignore rules and risks.
If you are like the many talented and visionary woman out there just requiring a little push to get off the sticky floor, you now are fully capable of taking your ventures to the next level. And if you find yourself ever wondering, “Why am I not a successful woman entrepreneur?” or “What am I doing wrong?” take a look at the above list and I am sure that you will find where you are lacking and be able to pick yourself up from there. And remember, the biggest trait of successful business women is personal growth.
Nothing can prevent women from becoming successful entrepreneurs. All you need to do is to shed your fears and be ready to take some calculated risks. With you hard work and perseverance, you will surely climb the ladder of success quickly.