11 Grants You Need to Apply for Today

There are lots of grants available to single moms, and making the most out of them will help you to increase your spending power and provide all the basic necessitates for your children and yourself. Instead of agonizing over how you will pay the bills each month, consider applying for these grants and programs for single mothers.


There is no better way to increase your earning power than by going back to school. If you don’t have your bachelor’s degree, you can apply for FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This grant provides money for individuals—including single moms—to attend college courses without paying all of the tuition out of pocket. With a single application, you will actually be able to apply for several different tuition programs at once, including the Federal Pell Grant. The online form is easy to fill out, and you will get your results relatively quickly. Financial aid for college is one of the most popular grant programs available today.

Federal Pell Grant

There aren’t many grants and scholarships that are available for both undergraduate and post-baccalaureate programs, but the Federal Pell Grant is one of them. If you are interested in pursuing your education as far as possible, consider applying for this grant. You will need to fill out the FAFSA application to qualify.


SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and it is designed to help struggling families cover the cost of food. Formerly referred to as food stamps, SNAP is a program that allows you to spend less of your paycheck on food, allowing you to pay for your rent and utilities while still providing nutritious meals for your family. To become eligible for SNAP, you must meet certain income thresholds that qualify you as low income and in need of assistance. The figures are slightly different if you or one of your children is disabled. You can apply for this grant through your local government office. If you are unsure of where to go, you can visit the SNAP website or call the SNAP hotline for guidance.

Energy Assistance Grants (LIHEAP)

The government offers grants for low income housing energy assistance to eligible citizens. These grants are given out on the state level, so you will need to apply through your state’s program. This is either done online or in-person, depending on how your state handles the process. For a family of three, you must make no more than $28,635 to qualify for this grant.

Section 8 Housing

Section 8 housing, otherwise known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program, grants vouchers for rent to qualifying families. While it may not cover the entire amount of your rent, it will often cover enough that you will only need to pay a small portion of your monthly income to your landlord in exchange for a safe, comfortable place to live. In order to apply, you will need to contact your local Public Housing Authority, which can help you with requirements and eligibility. In some metropolitan areas, there may be a waiting list fo this type of housing grant.

Child Care Access Means Parents in School Program

If you qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, you can also qualify for the Child Care Access program. This program allows you access to grants that cover the cost of childcare while you are in class. This makes it more affordable to pursue your dream of a college degree.

Weatherization Assistance Program

The WAP offers assistance to low-income families to help reduce energy bills by weatherizing homes. While families who receive SSI or other assistance will typically automatically qualify, in some areas, you need only have a lower income of no more than 200 percent of the poverty level and have children living in your home.

Immunization Grants

Not all insurance programs cover the cost of immunizations, and paying for them on your own can be expensive. You may be able to qualify for an immunization grant that covers the cost of your children’s annual vaccinations. This program is open to those children who qualify for Medicaid or whose parents do. Native Americans who are registered with a federally recognized tribe may also qualify.

National Health Service Corps Scholarship

If you are interested in pursuing a career in the healthcare industry and are willing to work in an underserved community, you can qualify for this scholarship/grant. It pays for tuition, educational fees, and provides a monthly living stipend for up to four years. You must agree to work in the underserved area for at least two years.

State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)

SCHIP is designed to help provide medical insurance for children whose parents make too much to qualify for Medicaid but do not make enough to cover the cost of healthcare. Each state has different requirements for this program, and in some cases, you may have to pay a small monthly premium for the coverage.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

TANF is what most people are referring to when they mention welfare. While it is designed to be a temporary cash assistance program, applying for this grant can help you get back on your feet after job loss or if you are struggling to make ends meet. If you qualify for TANF, you will likely also qualify for SNAP benefits and several other government grant programs. In order to apply, you will need to visit your local TANF agency office, and this is usually done by appointment. Benefit awards do vary from state to state, as do the eligibility requirements.

Government grants on the federal, state, and local levels can help you get on your feet, get an education, and provide your family with all the food and shelter you need to keep them feeling healthy and secure. Whether you have just experienced a loss of income or you have been struggling for years, these grants are designed to help you turn your financial life around and start on the road to prosperity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *